You are here
Home > Tournament > Sturridge, Origi take Liverpool to Capital One Cup semis after destroying Southampton 6-1

Sturridge, Origi take Liverpool to Capital One Cup semis after destroying Southampton 6-1

Photo Courtesy:
Photo Courtesy:

Liverpool proved that their recent thumping of Manchester City was not a one-off result. The Reds progressed to the semifinals of the Capital One Cup in style, recording a crushing 6-1 victory over Southampton.

The Saints were first to draw blood, with Sadio Mane heading home in the opening minute of the game. But that was the beginning and end of any joy Southampton would have in the rest of the game. Liverpool made a stunning comeback courtesy a hat-trick and a brace from Divock Origi and Daniel Sturridge respectively, with Jordan Ibe also finding the net in the closing stages of the game.

The game started with Southampton taking the lead after only 39 seconds through Mane, who, after managing to outfox Alberto Moreno, found the net from Ryan Bertrand’s excellent cross.

Klopp’s side seemed to be initially struggling to cope with the Saints’ wingers as they nearly conceded another in the fifth minute. Dusan Tadic whipped the ball into the box and Victor Wanyama connected with a good header, which Ádám Bogdán was just able to keep out. The Reds came under even more pressure when right-back Connor Randall, after committing a foul on Tadic, conceded a free-kick in a very dangerous position in the 8th minute.

However, the Saints were unable to increase their lead as Steven Davis’ free-kick went over the crossbar.

Liverpool finally started growing into the game and they were soon right back in the contest after Sturridge grabbed the equaliser in the 26th minute. Despite initially taking a bad touch from an excellent through ball from Joe Allen, the striker managed to keep his composure as he danced past Steven Caulker before firing a low effort past Maarten Stekelenburg.

A couple of minutes later the former Chelsea man struck again to put his side finally in front. Emre Can picked out Sturridge with a clever toe-poke pass, and the striker, after evading Cedric, stabbed the ball underneath Stekelenburg to make the scoreline 2-1 in Liverpool’s favour.

The visitors grabbed another goal just before the half-time through Origi, who found the net with a low effort after Southampton failed to deal with Adam Lallana’s corner.

After the break, Southampton seemed to find their lost vigour as Graziano Pelle tested Bogdán with a powerful drive, before Dejan Lovren made a good block to deny Mane.

Substitute Shane Long, who came on in place of Jordy Clasie in the 63rd minute, also nearly made an instant impact as he glanced his header just wide, following a superb cross from Tadic at the far post.

Despite the Saints’ lively performance in the second half, it was Liverpool who again found the net in the 68th minute through Origi. Jordon Ibe, who replaced Sturridge just before the hour mark, slipped a well-directed pass to the Belgian youngster, who showed great composure to smash a powerful effort past Stekelenburg.

Four minutes later, the Reds inflicted more humiliation on Southampton as Ibe made the scores 5-1 with a thumping effort after picking up an assist from Origi.

Finally Origi put the cherry on the cake for Liverpool as he completed his hat-trick in the 86th minute, firing past Stekelenburg after latching on to a good cross from Brad Smith.

Liverpool now face Stoke City in the semifinals of the Capital One Cup, while Manchester City face Everton.

Leave a Reply