You are here
Home > Tournament > Photos of the Week: FA Cup edition

Photos of the Week: FA Cup edition

The best photos of the week, this time taken from the third round of the FA Cup. Enjoy!
Exeter City’s Lee Holmes celebrates after scoring the second goal against Liverpool at St James Park. League Two’s Exeter were denied a memorable FA Cup upset as a barely recognisable Liverpool side came from behind to force a replay. Photograph: Dan Mullan/Getty Images


Non-league side Eastleigh’s Silverlake Stadium pitch was a bit slushy for the game against Bolton Wanderers. Eastleigh came within minutes of upsetting Bolton as their FA Cup third-round tie ended all-square… Photograph: Daniel Hambury/PA Images


… although a member of their ground staff did try to patch things up at half-time whilst wearing a Lucha Libre mask. A crowd of more than 5,000 squeezed into the ground just a short walk from Southampton Airport and almost saw the home side reach the fourth round for the first time in their 70-year history. Photograph: Michael Steele/Getty Images


Ben Amos of Bolton Wanderers fails to stop Eastleigh’s first goal scored by Dorian Dervite. But the home side couldn’t hold on as Darren Pratley spared bottom-of-the-Championship Bolton’s blushes when he pounced on a loose ball in the area to equalise three minutes from time. Photograph: Michael Steele/Getty Images


Manchester United’s Marouane Fellaini connects with the ball ahead of Sheffield United’s Neill Collins at Old Trafford. The hosts, 47 places above their opponents in the football pyramid, had only two shots on target throughout. Photograph: Jon Super/AP


Sheffield United’s Dean Hammond slides into Memphis Depay to give away a penalty. Wayne Rooney stepped up to score and send the hosts through. Photograph: Magi Haroun/Rex Shutterstock


Jamie Ward of Nottingham Forest gets tangled in the goal net after scoring the only goal against Queens Park Rangers at the City Ground. Photograph: Tony Marshall/Getty Images


Wycombe Wanderers’ manager Gareth Ainsworth shouts instructions to his players at a packed Adams Park as they drew 1-1 with Aston Villa. Photograph: Ian Kington/AFP/Getty Images


Garry Thompson and Luke O’Nien celebrate their 1-1 draw. Aston Villa’s winless run extended to 16 games. Photograph: Clive Mason/Getty Images


Shay Facey of Rotherham United beats Charlie Taylor of Leeds to the ball at Elland Road. Winning 2-0, Leeds progressed to round four for just the second time in six seasons. Photograph: Daniel Smith/Getty Images


Everton’s Brendan Galloway goes flying under pressure from Dagenham & Redbridge’s Joe Worrall. Everton Striker Arouna Koné headed the hosts ahead in the first half and Kevin Mirallas made it 2-0 from the penalty spot late on. Photograph: Lee Smith/Action Images


Dagenham & Redbridge’s Mark Cousins saves from a Koné header. Dagenham have conceded 45 goals in 25 League Two games this season but their back five created a wall of yellow and black to stop Everton running riot, even though they dominated with 75% of the possession. Photograph: Andrew Yates/Reuters


Nathan Tyson of Doncaster Rovers scores his team’s first goal past Jakob Haugaard of Stoke at the Keepmoat Stadium. Photograph: Laurence Griffiths/Getty Image


Doncaster’s Cedric Evina holds off Peter Crouch. Crouch and Jonathan Walters secured the 2-0 win. Photograph: Laurence Griffiths/Getty Images


West Ham United’s James Collins and Wolverhampton Wanderers’ Bjorn Sigurdarson battle for the ball at Upton Park. Nikica Jelavic’s sublime strike secured their progress to the next round. Photograph: Steve Paston/PA


Arsenal’s Gabriel Paulista in action with Sunderland’s Steven Fletcher. The FA Cup holders came from behind to record a comfortable 3-1 win at the Emirates. Photograph: Stefan Wermuth/Reuters
Manchester City’s Sergio Agüero jumps over the challenge from Norwich City’s Sébastien Bassong. Agüero opened the scoring after 16 minutes to help his side win the tie 3-0 at Carrow Road. Photograph: Lindsey Parnaby/AFP/Getty Images


Wilfried Zaha of Crystal Palace scores to make it 2-1 against Southampton at Saint Mary’s. It was the second season running the Saints have lost to the Eagles who went in front when Joel Ward fired in. Photograph: Kieran McManus/BPI/Rex Shutterstock


Zaha celebrates his winning goal. Saturday’s defeat means the South Coast side have now lost to the London club in the FA Cup in five of their last six meetings. Photograph: Andrew Matthews/PA


Bristol City’s French striker Jonathan Kodjia heads in City’s first goal to equalise 1-1against West Bromwich Albion at The Hawthorns. Photograph: Ben Stansall/AFP/Getty Images


West Brom’s James McClean attempts a scissor kick. James Morrison struck a last-gasp equaliser to spare West Brom’s blushes and deny Bristol City a shock victory. Photograph: Adam Fradgley/WBA FC via Getty


Bournemouth substitute Glenn Murray bundles home in the final five minutes to clinch a 2-1 victory against Birmingham City at St Andrews. Photograph: James Baylis/AMA/Getty Images


City’s James Vaughan is consoled by Bournemouth’s Shaun Macdonald at the end of the game. Photograph: David Davies/PA


Reece Brown of Bury holds the match ball during a break in play after a smoke bomb was released at Gigg Lane. League One rivals Bury and Bradford played out a goalless draw. Photograph: Chris Brunskill/Getty Images


Oxford United flags prior to kick off against Swansea at the Kassam Stadium. Kemar Roofe scored twice as League Two Oxford knocked Premier League strugglers Swansea out of the FA Cup. Photograph: David Davies/PA


Oxford’s Alexander MacDonald is fouled by Swansea’s Kyle Bartley and a penalty is awarded, enabling Liam Sercombe to levell the score at 1-1 as they went in at half-time. Photograph: Tony O’Brien/Action Images


Oxford fans celebrate their win. Oxford became the first fourth-tier side to eliminate Premier League opposition from the FA Cup since Swindon beat Wigan in January 2012 (though non-league Luton beat Norwich in 2013). Photograph: Dylan Martinez/Reuters


Scunthorpe’s Luke Williams falls following a challenge by Chelsea’s Branislav Ivanovic at Stamford Bridge. The hosts took an early lead when Ivanovic’s right-wing cross was diverted in by Diego Costa. Photograph: Glyn Kirk/AFP/Getty Images


Chelsea’s Ruben Loftus-Cheek celebrates scoring his team’s second goal to secure the 2-0 win. Photograph: Glyn Kirk/AFP/Getty Images


Harry Kane of Spurs scores a late penalty past goalkeeper Kasper Schmeichel of Leicester City to level the scores at 2-2 at White Hart Lane and force a reply. Photograph: Matthew Lewis/Getty Images

Leave a Reply