You are here
Home > Tournament > ISL Results: Chennaiyin progress to semis after beating Pune 1-0

ISL Results: Chennaiyin progress to semis after beating Pune 1-0

Photo Courtesy: ISL's official website
Photo Courtesy: ISL’s official website

Chennaiyin FC have progressed to the semifinals of the 2015 ISL following a narrow 1-0 victory over FC Pune City.

Jeje Lalpekhlua’s 64th minute strike proved enough as Pune were unable to find a way back into the match.

The first real chance of the game fell to Pune City in the 5th minute, when Fanai Lalrempuia, following a corner, managed to lay the ball for Gurjinder Singh inside the box. The defender let fly a powerful effort, but Apoula Edel was able to punch the ball away.

Ten minutes later, Chennaiyin got their first chance of the game, after a clearance from Edel resulted in Lalpekhlua glancing a headed pass towards Stiven Mendoza. The striker, who has scored 11 goals in the ISL this season, raced forward and fired an effort, but Steve Simonsen was able to produce a save.

Midway into the first half James Bailey was replaced by Wesley Verhoek after the English right-back picked up an injury (suspected dislocation) on his left shoulder.

Pune captain Elano got a very good opportunity to put his side ahead in the 43rd minute, when he raced ahead after evading a tackle from Govin. He fired a good effort on target, but his shot was palmed away by the former Everton goalkeeper for a corner.

In the second half, Elano was shown the yellow card for simulation after he went down inside the box following a push from Roger Johnson.

Chennaiyin finally went ahead in the 64th minute through Lalpekhlua. Mendosa, after winning the ball on the right flank, sent the ball towards the 24-year-old forward. Although Lalpekhlua’s initial effort was blocked by Govin, the forward made no mistakes after the ball rebounded to him, slotting the ball calmly past Simonsen,

In the closing stages of the game, Chennaiyin got a good chance to double their lead, when Mendosa made an impressing run down the right following after being released from a quick throw-in. The Colombian fired a shot but his effort was deflected for a corner.

Finally the referee blew his whistle and the match ended 1-0 in Chennaiyin’s favour to seal their spot in the semis.

Leave a Reply